Located in the Auckland CBD, the Bankside Bar and Lounge were a new addition to the Northern Club which has been part of the community since the 1870s. The extension adds sophistication and style to the existing heritage building from 1867. It follows a previous extension in the 1970s and a renovation in 2008, and hosts not only a modern bar and lounge but also a rooftop terrace surrounded by the city lights.
Cheshire Architects combined nature with architecture with bespoke interior elements. Built on volcanic rock, extraordinary geotechincal and structural skills were required to design sufficiently strong piles which reach over 20m into the ground.